Patient Care Specialist
Apply now with our Online Employment Application.
Division: Medical/24-Hour Services
Department: Inpatient Services
Supervised By: Corporate Director of Nursing
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt/Regular/Full-Time
Effective Date: July 2013
Exemplifies the standard of "Consumers First". Serves as trainer and role model for psychiatric technicians in the provision of quality direct patient care. Bulk of time consists of engaging the patient, either individually or in a group setting. The remainder of time will involve documentation and miscellaneous administrative tasks.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Interact routinely with patients in a therapeutic manner, observe behaviors and communicate significant observations to nursing staff.
- Be alert to patient behavior patterns/changes; utilize proactive techniques to divert crisis.
- Demonstrate the ability to recognize and respond to patient needs and requests in a timely manner.
- Ensure patient physical needs are met, including personal hygiene, mobility and feeding, promptly and in a manner that promotes dignity and respect.
- Demonstrate leadership/motivational skills that promote patient participation in treatment.
- Participate in patient treatment planning and implementation under the direction of nursing staff and other professional staff involved in direct patient care.
- Assist nursing staff as directed to ensure appropriate supervision of patients is maintained on unit. This includes response to emergency/crisis situations.
- Develop and conduct one monthly in-service for assigned staff – topic to be assigned by supervisor.
- Actively participate in "report" at the beginning and conclusion of assigned shift.
- Timely documentation of information regarding patient care and behavior during shift in accordance with IPS protocol.
- Exhibit competent use of Profiler and the ability to enter information correctly and timely into the EMR. Run scheduled reports for supervisor review as assigned.
- Participate in maintenance of a clean, orderly and safe environment; report needs for repairs and maintenance to appropriate staff.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings, trainings and in-services.
- Assist with the admission and discharge process according to IPS protocol.
- Maintain confidentiality in accordance with established IPS protocol, Hamilton Center policy, and standards of care.
- Complete Psychiatric Technician schedule for specific shift and coordinate with other shifts to ensure the acuity of the unit.
- Ensure groups are assigned and conducted in such a manner as to promote patient participation.
- Maintain current certification records for assigned unit staff.
- Assist in interviewing potential candidate for Psychiatric Technician positions.
- Assist with the development/implementation of initial and ongoing training of psychiatric technicians.
- Timely completion of assigned Essential Learning courses.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in one of the following areas: psychology, sociology, etc…
OR 2 years of verifiable experience working in a related position or setting.
- Demonstrate the ability to relate to, and communicate with, individuals from diverse backgrounds.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Maintain current American Red Cross CPR/First Aid/AED certification.
- Maintain current CPI certification.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Exposure to stressed and potentially aggressive patients is possible. Stress level ranges from low to intense depending on situation.
- Physical strength necessary to implement CPI interventions.
- Sitting, standing, walking, reaching, bending, stooping as required to assist in patient care.
Environment is a restricted-access, hospital-like atmosphere with egress to an outside patio. May have to help bathe and feed patients. Non-smoking work environment.
Conditions of Employment
- Completion of tuberculin screening no later than three days prior to first day of employment and annually thereafter
- Completion of a pre-employment drug screening and completion of post-employment drug or alcohol tests upon reasonable suspicion of use.
- Completion of Center-wide orientation and ALL required paperwork prior to reporting for work
- Demonstrated computer literacy through successful completion of pre-employment testing may be required.
- Completion of HCI Quality training
- Attendance at all mandatory staff development and training
- Successful completion of a six month on the job orientation period
- Participation in payroll electronic deposit
- Adherence to Compliance Program Plan
- Satisfactory reference and background investigation checks.
Job descriptions are not intended, and should not be construed, to be exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. They are meant to be accurate reflections of the principal job elements essential for making fair pay decisions about jobs.