Apply now with our Online Employment Application.
Division: Fiscal Services
Supervised By: Accounting Director
FLSA Status: Non-exempt/Regular/Full-time
Effective Date: July 2013
The Accounting Clerk performs various duties associated with the Representative Payee and Payroll clerk responsibilities of Hamilton Center, Inc. The primary responsibilities of these positions are tasks associated with client finances received from the Social Security Administration and the distribution of these funds on behalf of the client as well as various responsibilities associated with payroll. The position requires the ability to prioritize tasks and work independently.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Complete all applicable bank forms to establish new bank accounts and direct deposit for new payee clients.
- Maintain individual account data, i.e. bank routing and account numbers, for each client using Quicken and Check Launch software. Receive checks in mail or through direct deposit and credit the appropriate client account.
- Maintain a running cash balance in Quicken for each client account and maintain a daily log of the grand total for all accounts and reconcile the totals at the end of the day.
- Receive properly approved monthly budget and weekly payment requests from the Case Managers and print checks on behalf of the clients for monthly expenses after verifying that the account contains sufficient funds.
- Distribute checks to the Case Managers located in either the Main Center or Outreach Locations within the requested time frames.
- Balance all individual client bank accounts and communicate balance information along with a list of the outstanding checks to be voided to Case Managers monthly or as requested.
- Void checks as requested by the case manager or based on established guidelines for outstanding checks. Coordinate with the Staff Accountant to request bank stop payments when the physical check being voided is not present.
- Receive client mail regarding their social security funds and bank accounts, make appropriate copies for client files, and forward to Case Managers.
- Track all client expenditures in pre-defined Quicken categories and utilize this information to complete the annual representative payee report using the on-line reporting system.
- Complete annual representative payee report for each client using the on-line reporting system.
- Complete C&E invoices following established contracts relating to employee assistance programs, county billings, jail and alternative education.
- Enter DSI invoices into the Invoice and Estimates software system, create statements for vendors, and track outstanding payments.
- Contact vendors by mail and by telephone to follow up on overdue or problem invoices.
- Maintain the database monthly for items to be submitted to Indiana Unclaimed.
- Assist in the company-wide physical inventory process.
- Maintain the filing and storage of Accounting Department retained documents by logging all stored boxes, coordinating movement from the Main Center to Ft. Harrison storage, and marking boxes for disposal.
- Coordinates ordering for internal and external supplies needed by the Accounting Department, receiving all order goods, and organizing all stored supplies.
- Reconcile cleared checks for the HCI operating and payroll bank accounts.
- Review and update Accounting Department Operations Manual procedures that relate to the Compile and process information tied to Personnel Action Forms (PAF), Benefit Summary Sheets, Tax Forms, electronic deposit prenotification forms and PTO conversion/gifting forms.
- Process all income exceptions (resident doctors, on call, PTO payout, transcription, shift differential, educational assistance, loan payments, client payroll, short-term disability, special and spot bonus pay, etc.).
- Assure accuracy and non-duplication, recalculate, track by employee and pay period, and determine that appropriate approval and coding for employee travel expense reports is included prior to entering expense reports via the payroll time transaction deduction process for payment.
- Verify PTO reports against time sheets and exempt reports to assure that PTO is paid correctly, that additional PTO is accrued correctly, and that employees are notified in the event of reaching maximum threshold.
- Process payroll on a biweekly basis following established internal controls of verifying and entering time transactions, generating direct deposit advises and checks, transferring electronic data to the bank for payment, transferring intercompany funds to cover payroll, and distributing payment forms to employees.
- Monitor updates to health, life, and other payroll deduction rates. Generate health and life insurance billings monthly.
- Process payroll tax liability and benefit deduction payments utilizing reports from the Quantum accounting system to verify, calculate, vouch, and submit telephone and electronic payments or request checks for other payments.
- Compile data throughout the month to aid in the creation, calculation, or allocation of totals through journal entry into the general ledger.
- Representative Payee function, DSI and C&E Invoicing.
- Assist the accounting department as time permits or during critical times requiring back up.
- Provide backup for other accounting department staff as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associates degree in Accounting preferred.
- Reading and good written and verbal communication skills are necessary to communicate effectively with HCI staff.
- Use of decimals and percentages and other basic math skills are necessary.
- Basic computer knowledge, Microsoft software, and typing or keyboarding is required.
- Visual skills to perform typing and data entry are necessary.
- Prior Accounting experience is required.
- Willingness to use personal transportation in work capacity.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid driver's license in accordance with motor vehicle policy.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds
- Prolonged periods of sitting or standing.
- Prolonged periods of data entry.
The majority of the work is performed at a desk. The work is cyclical in nature resulting in high pressure times at month and year end.
Conditions of Employment
- Completion of tuberculin screening no later than three days prior to first day of employment and annually thereafter
- Completion of a pre-employment drug screening and completion of post-employment drug or alcohol tests upon reasonable suspicion of use.
- Completion of Center-wide orientation and ALL required paperwork prior to reporting for work
- Demonstrated computer literacy through successful completion of pre-employment testing may be required.
- Completion of HCI Commitment to Quality Training.
- Attendance at all mandatory staff development and training
- Successful completion of a six month on the job orientation period
- Participation in payroll electronic deposit
- Adherence to Compliance Program Plan
- Satisfactory reference and background investigation checks.
Job descriptions are not intended, and should not be construed, to be exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. They are meant to be accurate reflections of the principle job elements essential for making fair pay decisions about jobs.